Monday, January 18, 2016

Challenge DT Inspiration Post

Pin It Hello and welcome!  It's Kim from Katydid Cards popping in with some mid-month inspiration.  In keeping with this month’s Beary Sweet challenge theme, I thought I’d share with you this adorable little Bear Book. In this instance, though, I made it as a thank you card instead using the Bear Book cut file by My Scrap Chick.




Here's what the card looks like, opened.


And I have to show you the back of the card as it's also finished...the tail is so stinkin' cute.


I used Stamping Up’s Basic Black, Soft Suede and Very Vanilla card stock and Soft Suede Patterned DSP.  For the ears and pads of his little feet I used pink scrap. For stability on the front and back covers, I cut the Soft Suede card stock and layered it between two layers of DSP as I wanted the same pattern on both sides of the card stock. I sponged around the edges of all the Soft Suede pieces with coordinating ink.

Using this Bear Book as inspiration, I wanted to share a way to turn any regular card into an accordion card, photo album or book.

If you already have a 4 ¼” x 5 ½” card base waiting to be used, cut it in half (where you would normally score it) and that will become the front and back of your accordion. Depending on how many folds you have on your accordion inside, you may want to double your card stock or use chipboard covered in card stock or DSP.

You’ll want to make the accordion slightly smaller than your covers. In this case, I would suggest 4” x 5 ¼”. From 8 ½” x 11” card stock (you’ll need two pieces), cut 3 pieces to 5 ¼” x 8” and score them 4”.  Cut additional pieces if you want more panels in your accordion.


You will adhere the three pieces as shown here using your preferred adhesive…the the front of the first piece to the back of the second piece and so on. I used Scott’s Quick Drying Liquid Glue it gives you a little bit of wiggle room to make sure you have everything aligned for proper folding.



Now the fun part...decorating the interior of the card.  It's best to do this before you attach it to the front and back panels as it's easier to handle this way.  You have lots of area to embellish...four panels.  I have the center fold slightly lifted so it's clear which side should be embellished.


When you're finished embellishing the front of the card, turn it over and apply double sided tape to the two outside panels as shown here.


Now fold the panels and attach them to the center of the card front.  Then attach the back, aligning it over the card front.




Last step is to decorate the front as desired and there you have it!  If you decide to make one, why not make it with a Beary Sweet theme and enter it in the challenge; you still have 'til the end of the month.  And if you have a chance, come visit me at Katydid Cards and say hello!

Oh, and one more thing before I go.  I was inspired to try making a tear bear by the video Daphne shared with us earlier this month. I went looking for a free pattern as I didn't want to spend money on an experiment.  I didn't find any I liked, so I made my own.  It was pretty easy actually, just ovals and circles for the most part.  I thought I would share it with you as well.  If you'd like to try it, you can find the pattern here.
KimVSignature

3 comments:

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets